The City of Red Wing is responsible for maintaining and operating two city cemeteries. Oakwood Cemetery, which is located atop a bluff in south Red Wing; and Burnside Cemetery, which is located on the south side of Highway 61 in the Burnside area. For more information on either of these cemeteries, please click the links below:
Summer Hours: Both Oakwood and Burnside Cemeteries are open to the public daily from 7:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Winter Hours: Beginning with the first snowfall or the change from Day Light Savings (whichever comes first), the cemeteries switch to their winter hours. Both cemeteries are then open to the public weekdays only from 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. In addition, the cemeteries are also open these same hours on Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve Day, Christmas Day and New Years Day.
After hours (3:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.) and on weekends, visitors may gain access by checking out a key from a designated location that will be posted on the cemetery gates.
By 1854, it was quite apparent that Red Wing surveyors needed to acquire suitable land for a community burial ground. David Hancock and S. A. Hart were commissioned to select a proper tract of land. They chose a 35-acre bluff in south Red Wing which was sold for $3.50 per acre. In 1857, the first deed was recorded. In 1864, the grounds were platted by order of the City Council and the following year the space was named Oakwood Cemetery.
In 1907, the Betcher Memorial Chapel and Blodgett Memorial Arched Gateway were built and dedicated. The chapel was a gift to the city from Margaret Betcher in memory of her husband Charles.
When the chapel was built, it was widely acclaimed for its practical usefulness as well as for its beauty. Every convenience for mortuary chapels of that time was provided for.
The octagon-designed chapel was built with the finest Red Wing stone of the time and featured a red tile roof with copper trimmings. Inside, the tile floor, ash and marble accents enhance the chapel's magnificence. Opalescent stained-glass windows of Gothic design are at the sides, front and back of the chapel and give an added dignity and beauty.
The arched gateway, a gift from Elijah H. Blodgett, is massive, yet graceful. Its wide carriage arch is flanked by two smaller arches. Like the chapel, the gateway is made of durable Red Wing stone. The gateway and the chapel compliment each other and provide added dignity and grace as memorials.
The Oakwood Cemetery Web Mapping Application includes information on grave occupants, plots and sections and is useful for anyone interested in genealogical research. Link here for a ‘How to Sheet' on using the application. This application is best viewed using Firefox for your browser - click here to install.
Burnside (Shiloh) Cemetery
Between 1840 and 1850, two early pioneers to Burnside Township, Mr. and Mrs. Charles Spates, donated three acres of their farm for a cemetery. This was to be the first cemetery in Goodhue County. Spates, in drawing up the deed, designated this cemetery to be known as Shiloh. The origin of the name is not known. It later was named Salem and finally came to be known as Burnside Cemetery. In 1924, S. L. Morley donated the wrought iron gateway and fence in memory of his wife, Elizabeth (Thompson) Morley.
Between 1920 and 1930, Mrs. Lydia Anderson (wife of Dr. A. P. Anderson) provided an additional five acres to the land on the west. In 1934, Dr. A. P. Anderson contributed trees and a large section of the front fence in memory of his wife. In 1971, the City acquired Burnside cemetery when Burnside Township was consolidated with the City of Red Wing.
The Burnside Cemetery Web Mapping Application includes information on grave occupants, plots and sections and is useful for anyone interested in genealogical research. Link here for a ‘How to Sheet' on using the application. This application is best viewed using Firefox for your browser - click here to install.
Landscaping and Ornamentation
To maintain the cemeteries as memorials and as serene and beautiful final resting places for lives that once were, the City of Red Wing has established a Perpetual Care Fund. This is funded through the purchase price of lots and assures that gravesites will be maintained for perpetuity.
The City also offers an optional Perpetual Flower Fund. A one-time fee is paid on or before the 31st day of May of a given year for the planting and flowers to begin the following year.
The stand and urn you supply will be planted by the City. If the stand or urn is damaged due to vandalism, the City will replace it with a standard urn. In order to purchase perpetual flowers, please provide the lot, block and section of the grave space. If that is unavailable, the name of a person buried on the lot and their approximate year of death will suffice.
Since the general landscaping of the grounds of the cemeteries compliment the natural beauty of the surroundings, ornamentation guidelines developed to further enhance the beauty of the cemeteries. Ornamentation includes natural flowers and plants in good condition and suitable planters. Other items made from wood, ceramics, cement, clay and terra-cotta are limited to statues, figurines, and religious symbols. Special ornamentation is permitted on specific dates and special occasions and for a period of 24 hours. Artificial ornamentations or artificial flowers are not permitted. All must also meet the size specifications determined by city staff. American and commemorative Armed Service Flags are permitted between Memorial Day and September 15. For more information call 651.385.3648 or email Bill Rooney.