Current and Ongoing Projects
Alan Holm, Project Coordinator
Below is a list of several of our current and ongoing projects. Some of these projects have links to additional information:
- Sturgeon Lake Road Project: The City of Red Wing, Prairie Island Indian Community, MN Department of Transportation and other stakeholders are working together to improve the grade crossing of Sturgeon Lake Road and the Canadian Pacific Railroad tracks. UPDATE (11/22/13): Following the 12/10/13 Open House and Public Comment Period, a Final EA/EAW will be prepared. Right-of-way negotiations and acquisitions, and final plan approval will follow. Construction is not yet funded, so no construction schedule has been established. For more information on the Open House, click the Sturgeon Lake Road Project link above.
- East Fifth Street Bridge Replacement: Beginning September 10th, 2012, Lunda Construction Company of Black River Falls, Wisconsin will be constructing Bridge #25606 and the Canadian Pacific railroad bridge over East 5th Street, adjacent to XCEL Energy Steam Plant in Red Wing. East 5th Street will be open to traffic, with intermittent traffic delays and at times, short term road closures. Street closures for through traffic will be necessary at times during the various phases of construction on this project, and will be signed accordingly. Alternate routes will be necessary at times during the project as the work progresses. City crews appreciate the cooperation and patience of neighbors, drivers and pedestrians during this time of inconvenience. The bridge construction portion of this project is expected to be completed by June 15, 2013. UPDATE: Due to weather and scheduling issues with the railroad, completion of the bridge replacement has been pushed back to July 31st, 2013. Once this work is completed, remaining work which will include utilities installation, roadwork and turf establishment will begin. UPDATE (11/22/13): City crews have finished installing conduits for fiber optics along the roadway. Larry's Excavating has now finished subgrading East Fifth Street and constructed most of the gravel base. He will complete the gravel, grading and hydro mulching work so that the new roadway will be open to traffic prior to Thanksgiving. It is anticipated that this project will be completed by the Summer of 2014.
- Highway 61 Six Year Project Plan (2014-2019): Project Includes:
- Highway 63 Bridge Replacement: Completed in 1960, the Eisenhower Bridge is a steel through-truss bridge that crosses the Mississippi River main channel at Red Wing, MN. The two-land bridge is 1,631 feet long, 35 feet wide, and stands 65 feet above the river. MnDOT is currently in the preliminary phase of their project, which includes gathering data and reviewing options to determine if the bridges should be rehabilitated or replaced. Project includes the Highway 63 bridge over the Mississippi River and the Highway 63 bridge over Highway 61, as well as the highway connections to Highway 61, Highway 58 and approach roadways in Wisconsin. For more indepth and up-to-date information on this project, please click the Highway 63 Bridge Replacement link above for the MnDOT webpage for this project.
- 2013 Bituminous Street Overlay Project: Monarch Paving Company of Turtle Lake, Wisconsin will begin bituminous overlay construction on Spruce Drive (Foursome to West Maple), Maple Street (West Avenue to Southwood), Foursome Street (Spruce to dead end), Teeup Lane (Spruce to dead end), Hi Park Avenue (Hennings to Cherry), Birchwood Drive (West Maple to Poplar), Willow Drive (West Maple to Red Oak), Poplar Drive (West Maple to Birchwood), Red Oak Avenue (Spruce to Poplar), Forest Lane (Carol Lane to Helen), North Park Street (West 6th to West 7th), Helen Lane (Carol Lane to Forest), Wallace Lane (Carol Lane to dead end), Brooks Avenue (Pine Ridge to 500' south of Patch Cresent), Chickadee Court (Pine Ridge to dead end), East Avenue (12th to Oakwood Cemetery), Eunice Avenue (Hallquist to Sunny Meadow), Red Fox Drive, Westwood Hills Drive, Potter Street Parking Lot (next to American Legion) and Public Works Parking Lot, beginning on Monday, June 14th. The Overlay project will include bituminous milling, bituminous reclamation, bituminous pavement overlay and other appurtenant construction. These streets will have flaggers, lane closures in both directions, and traffic interruptions at various stages of construction. City crews will also be repairing damaged sections of curb and gutter prior to and during the project. This project is scheduled to be completed before August 31st. Updates will be provided on the City's website at www.red-wing.org. COMPLETED
- 2013 Street Reconstruction Project: Heselton Construction of Faribault, Minnesota will begin street reconstruction on Franklin Street (between West 3rd Street and West 5th Street), Hill Street (between West 3rd Street and 400' south of West 4th Street), Pine Street (between Main Street and 500' south of West 4th Street), and the alleys in blocks 8 & 9 of the Freeborn's addition beginning Monday, August 12th. Construction crews will begin work on Franklin Street. The street surface will be removed to begin reconstruction of water mains, water services, sanitary sewer mains, sanitary sewer services, storm sewer, aggregate base, concrete curb and gutters, and bituminous pavement as part of the City of Red Wing 2013 Street Reconstruction Project. Street closures for through traffic will be necessary throughout the various phases of construction on this project and will be signed accordingly. Alternate routes will be necessary throughout the project as the work progresses on this project. City crews appreciate the cooperation and patience of neighbors, drivers, and pedestrians during this time of inconvenience. The entire reconstruction project is expected to be completed by October 19th. Updated news releases will be issued as the project progresses. Heselton Construction of Faribault, Minnesota will begin removing the street surface on Wednesday, September 11th on Pine Street (between Main Street and 500’ south of West 4th Street) and the alleys in Blocks 8 & 9 of the Freeborn’s Addition. The street surface will be removed to begin reconstruction of water mains, water services, sanitary sewer mains, sanitary sewer services, storm sewer, aggregate base, concrete curb & gutters, and bituminous pavement as part of the City of Red Wing’s 2013 Street Reconstruction Project. UPDATE (11/22/13): Final paving on this project was completed on November 20, 2013. The final hydro mulching to avoid erosion/sediment of the topsoil over the winter will take place the week of November 25th. Final seeding and project clean-up will take place in the spring of 2014.