Current and Ongoing Projects
Alan Holm, Project Coordinator
Below is a list of several of our current and ongoing projects. Some of these projects have links to additional information:
- Sturgeon Lake Road Project: The City of Red Wing, Prairie Island Indian Community, MN Department of Transportation and other stakeholders are working together to improve the grade crossing of Sturgeon Lake Road and the Canadian Pacific Railroad tracks.
- East Fifth Street Bridge Replacement: Beginning September 10th, 2012, Lunda Construction Company of Black River Falls, Wisconsin will be constructing Bridge #25606 and the Canadian Pacific railroad bridge over East 5th Street, adjacent to XCEL Energy Steam Plant in Red Wing. East 5th Street will be open to traffic, with intermittent traffic delays and at times, short term road closures. Street closures for through traffic will be necessary at times during the various phases of construction on this project, and will be signed accordingly. Alternate routes will be necessary at times during the project as the work progresses. City crews appreciate the cooperation and patience of neighbors, drivers and pedestrians during this time of inconvenience. The bridge construction portion of this project is expected to be completed by June 15, 2013.
- Highway 63 Bridge Replacement: Completed in 1960, the Eisenhower Bridge is a steel through-truss bridge that crosses the Mississippi River main channel at Red Wing, MN. The two-land bridge is 1,631 feet long, 35 feet wide, and stands 65 feet above the river. MnDOT is currently in the preliminary phase of their project, which includes gathering data and reviewing options to determine if the bridges should be rehabilitated or replaced. Project includes the Highway 63 bridge over the Mississippi River and the Highway 63 bridge over Highway 61, as well as the highway connections to Highway 61, Highway 58 and approach roadways in Wisconsin. For more indepth and up-to-date information on this project, please click the Highway 63 Bridge Replacement link above for the MnDOT webpage for this project.
- 2012 Street Reconstruction Project: Heselton Construction of Faribault, Minnesota will begin street reconstruction on Summit Avenue (from Boxrud Street to 430’ North), Pleasantview Avenue (Summit Avenue to 290’ West), West 5th Street (from Buchanan Street to Washington Street), West 6th Street (from Buchanan Street to Washington Street), Buchanan Street (from West 6th Street to 200’ South of West 7th Street), and Jefferson Street (from West 4th Street to West 5th Street) beginning August 13th. Construction crews will begin work on West 6th Street, West 5th Street, Buchanan Street, and Jefferson Street. The street surface will be removed to begin reconstruction of water mains, water services, sanitary sewer mains, sanitary sewer services, storm sewer, aggregate base, concrete curb & gutters, and bituminous pavement as part of the City of Red Wing’s 2012 Street Reconstruction Project. Updated news release will be issued as the project progresses. Street closures for through traffic will be necessary throughout the various phases of construction on this project and will be signed accordingly. Alternate routes will be necessary throughout the project as the work progresses on this project. City crews appreciate the cooperation and patience of neighbors, drivers, and pedestrians during this time of inconvenience. The entire reconstruction project is expected to be completed by October 13th. COMPLETED with the exception of turf establishment which will be completed in the spring of 2013.
- Residential Sidewalk Program: