The Red Wing Fire Department is a combination fire department staffed by 25 full-time Firefighter / Paramedics and up to 30 paid on call firefighters. Personnel are on duty 24 hours a day 365 days a year to provide an immediate response to fire and emergency medical incidents of all types.
In addition to performing the fire suppression activities typically associated with a fire department, the Red Wing Fire Department provides advanced life support (Paramedic) ambulance services for the City of Red Wing and the surrounding communities.
Additional services provided by the Red Wing Fire Department include: fire and EMS public education, fire inspections, fire code enforcement and interpretation, fire sprinkler and alarm plan review, pre-fire planning, and fire investigations.
The Red Wing Fire Department also responds to high angle rope rescue and ice rescue incidents, auto extrications, marina and boat fires, hazardous materials incidents and radiological emergencies.
Each year the Red Wing Fire Department responds to over 3,300 calls for service.
Red Wing Fire Department
420 Plum Street
Red Wing, MN 55066
HOURS: Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
The mission of the Red Wing Fire Department is to enhance the safety and security of the community by providing cost effective protection of life and property, through fire prevention, public education, fire suppression and emergency medical care.
Excellence in customer service through integrity, teamwork, and compassion.
- Our organization will be driven to provide cost-effective and efficient fire and emergency medical services by honoring our mission, values, and traditions.
- Our critical services will consistently be delivered quickly and measured regularly against defined performance standards.
- We will deliver our services with a well trained and fit workforce, adequate at all times of the day to safely match the fire protection risks of the community.
- Our apparatus and equipment will be modern, well maintained, appropriately matched to the needs of the community we serve, and replaced on a reasonable schedule to ensure efficiency and safety.
- Our staff will be supported with policies and procedures that promote efficient, effective, and safe operation.
- We will have internal processes that empower our workforce, encourage open communication, and promote cooperation and teamwork.
- Our services will be recognized for their value and contribution to the community and its sense of security and, as such, will be provided with adequate and sustainable funding.
Fire Chief Tom Schneider
Chief Tom Schneider served as a Volunteer Fire Fighter for the City of Red Wing from 1984 until he was permanently hired on August 5, 1991 as a Fire Fighter/Emergency Medical Technician (EMT). Tom also worked as the department mechanic, handling general maintenance and repair of fire and emergency medical equipment. He then became a Nationally Registered Paramedic. In 1998, Tom became a member of the Captain-in-Training program and in 1999 became the Fire Prevention Specialist where he was responsible for fire code interpretation, enforcement and inspections, fire/arson investigation, public fire education and juvenile fire-setter intervention. He also is a past member of the Goodhue County Emergency Response Team (ERT) where he served as a tactical medic. Tom has completed numerous Fire and Emergency Medical Services course work. He is a certified Fire Fighter, Fire Inspector and Fire Instructor. In 2004, he was promoted to the position of Captain. On April 28, 2008, Tom became the Interim Fire Chief following the retirement of former Chief Michael Amendolar. On June 9, 2008 he was appointed to the position of Fire Chief. Tom’s number one goal is to make Red Wing a safer place to live and do business. To accomplish this goal, Chief Schneider coordinates and oversees the fire prevention, fire suppression, and fire training divisions as well as ambulance operations.