Sturgeon Lake Road Project Overview
The City of Red Wing, Prairie Island Indian Community, Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT) and other stakeholders are evaluating a possible improvement to the grade crossing of Sturgeon Lake Road and the Canadian Pacific Railway tracks. The evaluation would include the elimination of the existing at-grade crossing and construct an overpass for Sturgeon Lake Road over the tracks. This proposed project is consistent with the City and MnDOT's comprehensive plans and will receive further evaluation by affected agencies, land owners and businesses during the next year. Future opportunities to provide input (such as public meetings) will be posted on this website.
This project will integrate transportation planning for tourism, recreational travel, community needs, and system preservation plans and practices by evaluating possible improvements to the only public roadway access and evacuation route for the U.S. Lock & Dam No. 3, the Prairie Island Nuclear Generating facility, Prairie Island Indian Community, and Treasure Island Resort and Casino.
The Canadian Pacific Railway crossing Sturgeon Lake Road is one of the highest speed, highest volume rail corridors in Minnesota. Approximately forty (40) trains per day travel the corridor at speeds up to seventy-nine (79) miles per hour.
Sturgeon Lake Road, a municipal state aid street, is a four lane road with a forty-five (45) miles per hour posted speed limit and an average daily traffic count (ADT) of 10,500 in 2007 with a projected ADT of 15,750 in 2029.
PROJECT DEVELOPMENT (Reference materials)
- 1993 - Feasibility Report
- 1993 - Figures for 1993 Report
- 1995 - Project Path Report
- 2005 - Alternative Layout No. 1
- 2005 - Alternative Layout No. 2
- 2005 - Alternative Layout No. 3
- 2005 - Environmental Assessment (Part 1)
- 2005 - Environmental Assessment (Part 2)
- 2006 - Finding of No Significant Impact (FONSI)
- 2007 - Project Layout
- 2013 - EA Assessment Reevaluation & EA Assessment Worksheet Update
- 12-10-13 - Community Meeting #2 - Environmental Exhibits
- 12-10-13 - Community Meeting #2 - Landscape Exhibits
- 12-10-13 - Community Meeting #2 - Layout Exhibit
- 12-10-13 - Community Meeting #2 - Power Point Presentation
- 12-10-13 - Community Meeting #2 - Signed Level 2 Layout
Project Advisory Committee (PAC) - Meeting Minutes
Public Information Meeting Notices:
- June 19, 2012 Community Information Meeting Notice
- December 10, 2013 Community Information Meeting Notice
PROJECT CONTACT INFORMATION
City of Red Wing:
Ron Rosenthal - Engineering Director
419 Bush Street
Red Wing, MN 55066
Prairie Island Indian Community:
Marc Mogan, PE - Tribal Engineer
5636 Sturgeon Lake Road
Welch, MN 55089
Kimley Horn & Associates, Inc (Consultant):
Dan Coyle, PE - Project Manager
2550 University Ave. West, Suite 238 N.
St. Paul, MN 55114-2006